About Creation Young Company
Creation Young Company is a group of theatre makers aged 14-19 who create work that is inspired by the world around them. Our aim with Young Company is to provide a more serious, focussed version of Drama Club for our teens who wish to pursue acting or theatre-making to a more advanced level.
From Autumn Term Young Company rehearsals will take place on Wednesday evenings at Headington Baptist Church from 6-8pm, and will be open to 14-19 year olds.
- Provide students with a more detailed and intensive approach to theatre-making and acting, in a more advanced version of our usual Drama Club. For this reason, it is also open to older students.
- Provide students with creative leadership and professional development skills that will serve them well at university and beyond.
- Allow our students to truly channel their creativity and to work as a ‘company’ to create their own theatre. The group will be led by a professional theatre-maker who will guide and advise, but the Young Company show will be entirely devised by the group themselves. Inspired by a classic text or story, the Young Company will take the themes and content of the original text to whatever degree they wish to, and will devise their own production.
- The Young Company will lead to potential links to performances and work associated with the production side of Creation Theatre. Young Company will be Creation’s first port of call if we ever require young actors for pop-up performances or fund-raising events, and they will also be the first to be offered opportunities to volunteer as an usher or an internship with Creation Theatre.
- The Young Company will offer some specialised training; we hope to be able to offer sessions on specific skills, and potentially some focussed masterclass on audition training. It is ideal for any young actors planning on applying for Drama School, or anyone hoping to work in the arts.
- Autumn Term: The Autumn Term will involve the beginning of work on their production as well as a lot of focussed drama skills work, and some specialist masterclass sessions. It will culminate in a ‘scratch night’ performance where the YC can present their work so far to parents and friends.
- Spring Term: The Spring Term will involve the Spring Showcase performance, where the YC will perform their main show in a professional venue. Most of the term will be dedicated to working towards this project.
- Summer Term: Summer Term is more flexible, as we imagine many of our older students will be dividing their time and will have to spend more time studying for exams. The summer term will involve focussed training, and students will work towards a mini showcase performance at the end of term.