Creation Theatre awarded funding from Innovate UK
Innovate UK, the UK’s innovation agency, is all about helping innovative ideas to flourish! So we are absolutely delighted to have been awarded funding for a radical and comprehensive project to produce pioneering work in the digital theatre space, drawing on expertise from the worlds of tech, theatre, film and gaming.
The funding enables us to complete 3 projects:-
- Develop a new Digital Theatre Platform – which will involve a significant collaboration with two market leading tech companies, Flipside, and interactive storytelling experts Charisma AI. The trio will develop an alternative platform with cutting edge technical advances that utilise live performance and theatrical disciplines digitally.
- Produce a sustainability report into the carbon reduction associated with Digital Theatre to share within the sector.
- Launch a new Digital Repertory Company, which will employ five full-time actors over six months who will perform in two major pieces of digital theatre. The first production launches in January/February 2021.
Project work is already underway!
About Creation Theatre
Creation Theatre performs classic texts in extraordinary locations. Currently working on our sixth digital stage production. Experts at bringing stories to life in very special spaces and delighting audiences for the last 24 years – from Shakespeare’s The Tempest in one of Oxford’s Industrial Estates; Dracula in the enchanting rooms of The London Library; Don Quixote in Oxford’s iconic covered market.
In March 2020, in response to Covid-19, Creation Theatre quickly took their productions online – broadcasting live via Zoom.
- Recognised globally as masters of Zoom and digital theatre wizardry.
- Oncomm awardee (the Offies Commendation for online shows recognising the excellence of shows presented online).
- Awarded Innovate UK funding in November 2020 to develop radical & innovative projects, furthering their position as pioneers in Digital Theatre.
Creation Theatre continue to push boundaries and perform in unusual places – professional actors broadcast live from their homes, with the help of fantastical virtual backgrounds, innovative props and stunning costumes.
“Creation Theatre are leading the creative response to Covid-19 through their strikingly innovative use of digital performance tools to perform live interactive theatre. Their digital shows combine technological wizardry with human warmth, with audiences from across the country and the world joining in a life-affirming experience of enjoying live theatre together in a virtual space.” Professor Pascale Aebischer